5 DO NOT’s for electricals
Published: October 10, 2019 Last Updated: November 06, 2020
Watmar Electrical Contractors on the Gold Coast know all too well about the hazards of electricity. Our residential electricians, strata electricians and commercial electricians have come across a number of frightening situations that could have caused some catastrophic events.
Here, Watmar Electrical Contractors share the Top 5 Do Not’s for Electricals to keep you, your family or your tenant safe:
- Don’t Do It Yourself
Never, ever attempt to undertake electrical installations or repairs or touch electricity meters unless you are a fully qualified electrician. Electricity is deadly to the inexperienced and should be respected.
- Don’t use appliances that are broken or have damaged cords
To avoid a potentially life threatening situation or even death, any broken appliances should be discarded. Touching loose wires, damaged cords or broken components can lead to electrocution and death.
- Don’t overload power boards or adaptors with too many electrical appliances
Overloaded power boards and adaptors are dangerous and can lead to fires. Power boards need adequate ventilation as well and should be checked at regular intervals for any signs of damage or deterioration.
- Don’t use electrical appliances near water
Water is a conduit to electricity. Using wet hands with electrical appliances can cause electrocution and death. Never have appliances near a water source such as a sink, bath or pool.
- Don’t touch overhead wires
Electricity is an invisible energy source so be sure to not touch any overhead wires. Often deaths are caused by accidentally touching electrical wires particularly when working on roofs. Turn the power off at the switchboard when working in ceiling spaces as well.
By heeding the Top 5 Do Not’s for Electricals from Watmar Electrical Contractors, you are saving yourself from a potential emergency situation. If you are need of electrical installations, maintenance or repairs from a trusted local electrician, contact the friendly team at Watmar Electrical Contractors.